frame

SSC : English Language & Comprehension

DISCUSSION BASED ON spot the error, fill in the blanks, synonyms, antonyms, spelling/detecting mis-spelt words, idioms & phrases, one word substitution, improvement of sentences, active/passive voice of verbs, conversion into direct/indirect narration, shuffling of sentence parts, shuffling of sentences in a passage, cloze passage & comprehension passage.

Comments

• spot the error
    He suggested / that I should /see him / in his letter.
  • spot the error
    He suggested / that I should /see him / in his letter.

explanation : In his letter is inappropriate. This tag should come after " he suggested " .It is an error of misplacement of words , causing confusion.
  • Substitution:
    A short walk for pleasure or exercise ?
    1. Jog
    2. Stroll
    3. Gallop
    4. Promenade
  • Substitution:
    A short walk for pleasure or exercise ?
    1. Jog
    2. Stroll
    3. Gallop
    4. Promenade

Correct answer will be 4 Promenade
    Promenade : A leisurely walk, especially one taken in a public place as a social activity.
  • Spotting the errors :smile:

Neither the speaker / nor his secretary / were informed / of the cancellation.
  • AmAn said:

Spotting the errors :smile:

Neither the speaker / nor his secretary / were informed / of the cancellation.

was in place of were

Explanation : when two or more singular nouns are joined together by "either or " "neither nor" and "or" the pronoun is singular.

it simple
  • Spotting the errors

I have pleasure/to certify/that Shalim worked meritoriously / for the last three years in our organization./no error.

• Katyal said:

Spotting the errors

I have pleasure/to certify/that Shalim worked meritoriously / for the last three years in our organization./no error.

The sentence is in the continuous tense.
    so worked is wrong ......

Has been working in place of worked.
  • Spotting the errors

The need to set up (a) / a good library in the locality (b) / has been in the minds of people (c) / for some time now (d) / No error (e)
  • Hiren said:

Spotting the errors

The need to set up (a) / a good library in the locality (b) / has been in the minds of people (c) / for some time now (d) / No error (e)

C. Add ‘the’ before ‘people’